Sunday 2 August 2015

vital little things.

My time as a PCV is winding down, so cue the obligatory service related posts...  
In no particular order, here are the twenty things that I couldn’t have lived without during my Peace Corps service in Namibia.

1. Electrical tape.
With the power surges and questionable wiring, things overheat/cook. (Mostly people will wrap melted wires with plastic shopping bags). Thank you, oh mighty UL (Underwriter’s Laboratory) listed electrical tape, from the states. Accept no substitutes.

2. Seam ripper (and my sewing kit).
Vital for anyone who sews (and for some who don’t). A stitch in time saves nine.

3. Isotonic side-sleeper pillow.
We’ve had a lovely five years together. This is possibly the best relationship I’ve ever been in. (Even though you were stupid expensive.)

4. 100% Rag Translucent Marker Paper.
Art supplies this side aren’t often up to snuff. Bring what you can’t live without (within reason).

5. Uniqlo paisley boho drawstring pants.
Most versatile item of clothing that I brought with me. Thank you Kristen, for insisting we stop at Uniqlo on my last trip to NYC. I bow to your wisdom.

6. Bandannas/handkerchiefs.
Ladies in my village were horrified that I was blowing my nose into these beauties, instead of wrapping up my hair. (I’m allergic to dust.) Now my kids carry them. Bringing back the hanky. Oh yeah.

7. Leather belt.
You will be told that this will mold in the tropics (and that the buckle may rust)... It might. But plastic melts, and canvas belts are difficult to take seriously. 

8. Dual-sided bathroom mirror.
I’m not sure if they make glass out of tissue paper here… ?

9. Pumice stone.
Your feet will get wrecked. And the “pumice” stones this side are no such thing.

10. Mini Moleskine journals.
I love my biggun, but there is nothing like being able to whip one out of my purse or pocket on the fly before some random thought floats on by.

11. Green Pilot V5 rolling ball pens.
Staedtler, you’re a distant second… Pilot has my heart.

12. Assorted Baggu shopping bags and stuff sacks.
Shopping and packing made easy by Baggu. I brought solid colors (though I longed for their feisty patterned ones) and they’re starting to fray a bit, due to the use, but I figure, they’re what, seven years old? Solid buy.

13. ACLU bottle cozy.
Protecting freedom, justice, equality, and my beverage. (Thanks, Maureen!)

14. Timbuk2 backpack (plus bottle opener).
Sure, I bought it because it was blue and had a bottle opener (plus a sleeve for my Ultrabook…) but the make and durability of this thing is amazing. Travelling abroad? Buy one.

15. Dell Ultrabook w/ 500GB hard drive (w/ Windows 7).
Windows 8 is the worst. Should I be terrified that I just reserved Windows 10 on my pc? Also, everyone is ecstatic about their external hard drive until it gets stolen (or it dies.) I kind of like that I have to triage my movie selection. And, really, why do I need more than 250 GB of space reserved for films? (Though next time I’m throwing down for steady state. You know it.)

16. Leatherman.
As long as you never let it out of your sight (and subsequently out of your possession) this will be the single most useful tool in your arsenal. (Apologies to my cousin, to whom I never sent a thank you note… I’m an ass).

17. Full-length cotton bathrobe.
I’m not big on pajamas, so this thing has allowed for modesty (and warmth) time and again.

18. ACE ankle braces.
Dancing (and cheerleading) nearly killed the tendons in my ankles, but these suckers kept me upright while conquering mountains and massifs in sneakers (Columbia) when the tread on my hiking boots (Keens) failed after a single month. [1]

19. Scunci bun twists.
You may have heard, but it’s hot in Africa in the summer… and I’ve got hypo-hydrosis (and lots of tresses.) These twists saved me from heatstroke many a time, simply by keeping my hair up, where all other hairbands and clips have failed.

And last, but not least…

20. Diva Cup.
I remember sitting with my friend Erica and giggling over the advertising copy for this little silicone cup. But now, I wonder – how did I ever use disposable feminine products for that long? Ladies of childbearing age (home or abroad), seriously, check 'em out.

Honorable mentions:
My Nikon (though I had to buy another lens in Namibia after a series of technical difficulties) and my Fuji Instax. A thank you to my ex. You only ever gifted me with electronics (and little black dresses) because you never knew any better… But, whatever, thanks booger.


[1] In Keen’s defense, the canvas mary janes that I purchased as dress shoes are the ugliest, but absolutely the best, shoe purchase I’ve made in years. I walk 4-6km every weekday and teach in ‘em. Just avoid the boots, yo.