Thursday 17 October 2013

late, late riser..

The waking is the troublesome part. By the time light floods my room, I know that rightly, I should have departed already, but I burrow deeper still into my sheets.  Then the waiting for my host mother and sister to cease their morning tête-à-tête.. My morning helping of familial avoidance. Mother is off to work, sister to bed.. I emerge from my little room in the back, slinking out the rear door. 

Trespassing a well-worn path through several yards – through a perpetually open livestock gate a few yards over I make my way carefully through the deep sand – one eye on the lookout for those slithering things I have been told to be aware of.  One of my neighbors is a man who has set up house in a tent in the backyard of the house adjacent to his previous residence. I don’t yet know his story, but we wave and mumble greeting to each other.

A family of goats – not quite a herd (for they have no herder) wander the brush across the sandy lane, content to stalk the yards of my little neighborhood, favoring a large outcropping of cactus planted by a previous tenant at one of the vacant houses..

The walk is a little more than a kilometer each morning, and as I am often late, I’m usually speed walking, as best as one can in deep sand… West, down and across the lane through another livestock gate, this one narrow – to prohibit the entry of undesirable livestock… and elephants, so I’m told. I try my best not to snag my turtle shell (this damned backpack) on the gate… am not always successful..

Just a bit farther, the path turns and cuts diagonally through the field to the northwest, and I barrel into my shadow as I pick up the pace, glancing at my mobile realizing the time. I tune out the sounds of the morning as I pass a giant flowering tree with purple blossoms – the tree houses a hive of … Bees? Wasps? I’m not sure exactly where, but it positively hums from within.

Finally to the sandy soccer field, with its skeletal goal posts missing their nets, the school is fully visible, and a steady stream of learners make their way from the ‘Location’ into the school yard. Nearer to the school yard, adjacent to the soccer field, I pick my way through a minor refuse patch, unnerving the chickens roaming around, sorting through the waste.

Finally, I arrive... A little winded – to the amusement of my fellow teachers who laugh at my obvious exertion... They don’t know I’ve practically been running to avoid being tardy (or at least even later than I might have been to the 6:45am daily meeting)… I work through the necessary and inevitable greetings... Then I retreat to the library… Trying to figure out where to begin.