Thursday 27 March 2014

god&^%$#@!dammit

Yesterday I ran into the biggest, most award-winningly massive cricket I've seen in my life.
And, of course, I did not have my camera.
But he was trudging… so I could head back to my house and catch him on the move with my camera if I ran, right?
Wrong.

The armored ground cricket, acanthoplus discoidalis, is common in Namibia…
(Or so they tell me)..
In the local language, they are called kuta kuta.
According to local lore, if you see one, you will soon be full.
I took this to mean sated or satisfied, but I have been assured that they (my colleagues) literally mean overstuffed from a big meal.
Perhaps, though, they’re thinking the kuta kuta, itself, will be full soon…
They’re cannibalistic.

From the archives…
Check out this Slate article.
Or this one from BBC.

Also, two inches, my foot.
This bugger was over 3 inches in length and fat as hell..
Maybe that’s why he was sauntering off on his own…
He’d just eaten his compatriots.

So, anyway, I’m chugging back to where I spotted the sucker and am cursing myself for not just following it to wherever it was heading to get out of the rain, and then getting the camera…
And it’s vanished.
It has no wings.
I’m in a relatively open field.
And it’s gone.
Feeling (more than) a little bereft, I hoist my camera, determined to scout it out.

No luck…
Except for spotting possibly the strangest grasshopper(?) I have ever seen.



This little guy is called efingwe in Rukwangali.
No idea about its English moniker, nor scientific name..
According to my friends, coming across this pretty little insect means something dire will happen to me in short order – most likely death.


At least I’ll die with a full stomach?