Wednesday 6 August 2014

cuppa*

Part of my job is to dispel stereotypes. Myths about people. Americans, certainly. But all groups of people. I want my kids [learners] to see the different tribes, and ethnic groups, around them, and not judge them based on the pre-formed opinions of others, but approach people with an open curiosity that doesn't center solely on the geographic origins of someone's ancestors, or the language that one speaks, their physical characteristics, or their manner of dress. I want them to to work to dispel the notions and assumptions that others have given them, and navigate their own paths.

It just kills me, then, when adults in this country continue to flock toward what they know, or what they are comfortable with, and reaffirm those stereotypes thoughtlessly. On one level, they understand that it is racist bullshit that streams out of them a few hours into the conversation – at the point which they've relaxed, and have started philosophizing on the state of the world, and the country around them. They start or end each statement with an apology or qualification. They know they're pandering to ideas that have been reinforced since childhood, and you see that faint glimmer when what they're saying occurs to them as the hogwash that it is... And then that moment that inkling dies, and they settle back into the comfort of the persuasions they can't seem to shake off.

Namibia has a diverse population. A couple million peoples from various and diverse tribes that have lived here for thousands of years previous to the attempts at colonization, and quite a few peoples from assorted European backgrounds. They are your colleagues, your neighbors, your family members. You only have ONE friend with a different 'ethnic' background? Out of a couple million? This doesn't strike you as odd? And this ONE is the exception to the rule? What are the rules? Who made them up? Was it you? Why do you still mind them?

Excuse me while I smash my head against my keyboard. Repeatedly.


*This tangent [rant] occurred to me after one of the numerous times I have been offered coffee by an Afrikaner who pointedly excluded the Namibian standing next to me, who had been an equal part of the conversation, from the invitation. Not to say all Namibians aren't prone to similar behaviour. They, too, often begin insulting diatribes regarding 'race' with, “No offense to you,” when they get going..

Also, I'm a little leery of invitations inside for a cup of coffee. In the states, if someone asks you out (or in, as it were) for coffee, it's often out of personal interest... Or a ploy for sex.

Ask me over for a beer. I won't think you have a hidden agenda. Also, I'd just like a beer, thanks.