Sunday 20 July 2014

pack light. and four sizes smaller.

One year ago, I moved to this country with three bags.
Three bags and a purse, really..
Two 50 litre bags, a small backpack with my electronics, and a wholly unnecessary, but positively supple, jade green leather Coach purse I'd bartered with my mother for a couple days earlier.
Before arriving at staging in Philly I believed I had grossly over-packed.
I was so wrong. Some people brought their entire wardrobes — in multiple pieces of luggage large enough for me to curl up in.. I am not a petite woman.

When I packed for life in Africa, I tried to take the harsh climate, constant walking, the necessity of carrying my pack every time I traveled... I expected to lose a little weight. A little. Ten pounds, tops. I packed clothes that fit me okay, but would fit me better, I assumed, in a matter of months.

One year and an accumulative fifty pound weight loss later, I am struggling.. Not with the weight loss. Whatever, I'll gain it back when I move back to the land of the free and home of the roast beef and mayonnaise sandwiches, tacos and craft beer...

Its the funds. I have been buying clothes at a breakneck pace. And I cannot seem to keep up with my metabolism, which, now six months shy of my 30th birthday, is pretending it is in a pre-adolescent stage. I buy clothes that are too tight. They're too big two months later.

Imagine living on a peace corps budget. It's limited. Limit-ed. I look ridiculous with my pants hiked up to my natural waist, held by a belt that now wraps one and a half times around my waist. I look like a stingy penny pinching grandma who is too cheap to buy a new pair of jeans, and doesn't care that the fabric bunches at my nether regions. It makes me feel positively frumpy and sexless.

And if another person congratulates me on losing weight, I will jack them in the throat.


Just food for thought for the influx of 50 or so volunteers entering the country this week.