Monday 17 November 2014

journals, diaries, letters, blogs.


Writing, for myself, is a therapeutic tool.
Then again, so is sitting and wool-gathering.
But when I do that, I wish I’d brought a pen and pad along.
I've forgotten some of the best prose I've ever dreamed up for lack of a writing device.
I can never remember those clever turns of phrase.
They’re a one off.
My old phone held hosts of audio notes. Ramblings I’d listen to later on and laugh at.. Scribbling down the droll quips in the process.. Deleting them to make room for the next..

Back home I’ve a large quantity of journals.
Housed in safe keeping, a world away, in my pop’s spare bedroom along with the other few things I’ve held onto…

I’ve written essays, and plenty of pure drivel.
Philosophical quandaries, delusions of grandeur, occasional rants..

Journals are an excellent place to expel the toxicity in one’s life.

Occasionally one goes back to re-read the idiocies scribbled down..
Some encounter with an ex, a disagreement with a sibling, memories, or infuriating conversations, desires, and fantasies.

They’re private, wild thoughts. Intimacies meant only for one’s self.
A cloistered purge of words. Written and ensnared on the page, shackled in ink.
Where they won’t haunt you anymore.
At least until you've re-read them, musing as to how you could've been so foolish.

There are few things more dangerous than reading another person’s diary.
What you find held within is another version of the diarist.
A private expulsion of all of those secret thoughts and deeds.
Real and imagined.
Half-finished thoughts or entries.
Full pages of rants.
Scrawled notes without context.

As someone who keeps a journal, I have only once been tempted to read the ramblings of another without permission.

It sat there, on the table, in plain view after a disastrous weekend in the country.
I was, admittedly inebriated, and tried to reason with myself.
Attempting to absolve myself in advance for cracking the spine.

I couldn’t bring myself to do it.
This gross invasion of privacy and betrayal of trust that seemed so tempting to my addled brain. I knew the friendship was over anyway, so what was the harm?

I knew better, though, the representation of a person on the page—is not a representation of the writer, but of the thoughts that they grapple with.

I knew, also, that I couldn’t keep it to myself.
There are good reasons to keep secrets, but they are few in number.
I admittedly have a handful, but, they tend to be the private sort.
Ones that don’t affect anyone but myself.
Or those kept on behalf of others. Things that do no harm.

Had I opened even the first page, I knew I’d have to admit to it.
First to myself, the sojourn I knew better than to embark on…
And messy aftermath of losing someone’s trust permanently.

Now, though, we have blogs.
Online journals, shared without such concerns.
All written with various motivations, with differing results, our private thoughts splashed about the internet. Is it vanity that makes us choose to do so?
An idea that what we have to say is important, perhaps?

I like to pretend that no one reads this blog.
That mine is hidden amongst the hundreds of thousands of blogs that populate this online network.
Though I know better, I still feel as if I am writing in my moleskine to myself.
Working out a problem as I tap at the keys.

Letters, too—and emails—provide an outlet.
But those are written with the recipient in mind.
Private, still, but a shared thought, fear, frustration or happiness intended only for one other.

Much to the dismay, I am sure, of the late, great Bobby Britain, I write the bulk of my ramblings without an audience in mind.

This note, however, is not one of them.

Sister mine,
Please desist in the excavation of pages contained in chronicles left crated and dusty.
Those thoughts are mine, and they were not written with distribution in mind.
You will not enjoy what you find within... Some things are, and should remain, private.
Yours truly,
The author



The above image has been borrowed from Notebook Stories, as my SD card, now unable to transmit data, has gasped her last breath in Africa.