Monday 2 February 2015

positively 4th street.

I couldn’t get the tune out of my head.
Then the whistling started.
But, what were the lyrics?
How would I find this song in my collection?
I knew the genre, right?
60’s rock. Chirpy intro, overall depressing theme.
To whom could I call and attempt a rendition?
Who would understand the strangled warble over the patchy cell service?
Unfortunately the only one who came to mind who could manage the task wasn’t a viable option.

It seems to go, that you’d consider other failures and false starts in times like these.
It triggered, too, another memory that once I’d had another person, who could take a 30 second phone call and manage a tune to match my memory.

Mistakes made today:
◦ Waiting until the last minute to buy bread. Slim pickings limited to white loaf.
◦ Arriving on time to combi. (Which is two hours late, in my book.) Waited two hours more for repairs.
◦ Leaving my green Coach in the combi. Contents included, but not limited to: my passport, American VISA, Namibian ATM card, all remaining VICA for the month, my MTC Netman dongle, last mint Blistex from stash, new neon-pink alpaca-knitted parrot finger-puppet, lock and key earrings.
◦ Bungling traditional Ruk greeting in haste to find combi, in effect, was rude to best friend’s mother, Clementine. 
◦ Opening my email.

Wonders experienced today:
◦ Overabundance of brie in the dairy aisle.
◦ Lone giraffe loping ahead of our combi in the full moon.
◦ Best friend Em, and cousin, Kavax, (also our combi driver) having already dropped off my purse back at my home, even as I was setting off under the night sky on the hunt in the general direction of the rukanda (location).
◦ Managing to remember the opening lyrics. Finding the tune on google. Finding it in the ranks in my zune.
◦ Not having to make a call to the south, because, it would have driven me mad, not knowing.
◦ Appreciating the irony of the song, the recall, and the trigger.


a rock, an island | Clear quartz found near Botswana, one breezy winter morning, last year.