Thursday 29 May 2014

in my tribe…

One of my favorite things about living in Namibia is my host mother.
I don’t, however, spend a lot of time with her, or my host family… They’re forever watching TV… and I’m forever reading… Or marking.. Or sleeping… Our schedules clash, you see.

I woke up last Saturday to shrieking and praying and cursing. In a combination I had not heard since a snake invaded my bedroom and hid behind my jerry cans. I wandered to the front of the house to find my host mother pointing a hose at the roof’s overhang and thwacking the side of the house with a giant branch, still cursing and shrieking and praying..

I get her to cease watering the house, and make it out of the now drenched porch to discover what has frightened her so.

A walking stick. An ancient one, at that... At least, I assume so, considering it was 18-20cm long. The little beast had lived in relative peace until my host mother gave herself, and the poor bugger, a near heart attack.

In her tribe, she tells me, “… walking sticks mean death will come to your house.”
My reply was, “In my tribe, walking sticks like this mean ‘go run and grab your camera.’ ”

So I did. And I carefully coaxed the gentle giant into a bowl and transplanted him to a tree nearby. All the while my host mother is laughing at my brazen behaviour, cavalierly picking up the insect, despite its ominous presence. At this point she was watching from the sandy lane… A full twenty metres away…
  


Now playing: Settle | Disclosure
(Thanks B—)